Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, September 5, 2011

Ruth Elizabeth Boshers Downey

On August 12, 2011 my beautiful grandmother left this world to go home to her Father in Heaven.  I've been dreading this post for quite sometime because, honestly, I just don't have the words to eloquently express what a wonderful person she was, how much she was loved and how much she will be missed.  
I am an extremely lucky girl in that my family is very close.  Most of my childhood memories include not only my immediate family, but also my grandparents.  They lived just a few miles away, we shared meals together each week, we went to church together, my grandparents attended my school programs, cheerleading events and birthday parties (in fact, all of my birthday parties were at their house using their swimming pool!) and we took vacations together.  Again, I can't even begin to express what they both mean to me and how much they have influenced my life.  My grandmother was a wonderful, loving Christian woman.  Her life was devoted to her family and to God.  She loved my Granddaddy more than anything in this world and their marriage was one that I will spend every day of my life trying to emulate.  They were happily married for 65 wonderful years.  I know that she was proud of me and I am so proud, thankful and grateful that she was my grandmother.  Her life and her example encourage me to be a better person each and every day.
I have so many memories of her that I have been thinking about over the past several weeks.  Each time I think of something, I share it with Kyle.  I want to begin writing them down so that not only will I not forget, but that I can one day share them with Will.  It breaks my heart to think that he won't have the privilege of knowing her personally, but I will try my hardest to make sure that he knows every memory and story.  
On August 15, 2011 we laid her to rest.  It was the hardest day of my life thus far.  I know that she is now in Paradise, but I continue to miss her each and every day.  
Grandmommie--thank you for your life, for the way you lived, for your Godly example and for your unconditional love.  I will love you and miss you always.

Ruth Elizabeth Boshers Downey
December 28, 1925--August 12, 2011

2 comments:

  1. :( This brought tears to my eyes. I am so glad she got to see you married with your beautiful baby boy and how happy you are. I'm sure that meant so much to her to see you with your wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post, Megan! She was such an amazing woman. I know you have so many memories of her to share with Will. Some of my favorite memories of your grandmother:
    1. When we stayed at their house in college. How she prepared for morning the night before. Their place setting and everything ready to go.
    2. The time me,you,and Laura stayed at their new house (for GA game). And that huge spread of food they had for us...the meat and chesse tray and cinnabon for breakfast. So sweet and all so good!
    3. The same trip. We were in kitchen before they were awake. And she came in the kitchen and said, "we were awake early, but we were just snuggling." OMG! That was the cutest and sweetest thing I have ever heard to this day. :-)

    ReplyDelete